Grivante Press llc
Short Story Publishing Contract
This contract is made between Grivante Press llc, whose address is 468665 Hwy 95 #1392 Sagle, ID 83860, hereafter referred to as the Publisher, and [Author Name], whose address is [Author Address], hereafter referred to as the Author.
The parties agree as follows:
1. The Author grants permission to include his/her story [STORY TITLE], a work of approximately [Story Length] words, hereafter referred to as the Work, in [Anthology Name] an anthology to be published by the Publisher, hereafter referred to as the Anthology.
2. This use of the Work by the Publisher entails the assignment of First World Anthology Rights, for publication in the English language anywhere in the world. It is also understood and agreed that the Publisher may use this Work only in the above-mentioned Anthology–both paperback and electronic editions–and re-printings of it as well as use in any best of collections, and that the Author shall retain all other rights to the Work not specified here or below.
2b. The Author grants to the Publisher first worldwide English language audio rights to the Work, subject to the same terms as specified in clause 2 solely for use in the audiobook version of the Anthology, provided that those rights are exercised within twelve (12) months of publication of the story in the print edition of the Anthology. The Author also grants to the Publisher the additional, nonexclusive right to collect the audio edition of the Work in the future in an audiobook best of compilation.
Payment & Author’s Copies:
3. For the rights granted to the Publisher in this Agreement, the Author will receive a payment via Paypal in the sum of [Payment Amount], which is determined by and will be paid according to the Anthology Payment Guidelines. Payment will be made within 30 days of signed acceptance of this contract.
Additional payments for audio rights will be paid within thirty (30) days of publication in the audio format, but not to exceed thirteen (13) months from the date of the print publication of the Anthology.
The Author certifies and acknowledges they are an independent contractor for all purposes related to the Payment and that the Payment does not equate to a work for hire.
The Publisher shall make no tax withholding from the Payment under this Agreement. The Author is not entitled to receive any employment benefits, including without limitation vacation pay, sick leave, retirement benefits, Social Security, workers’ compensation, disability or unemployment benefits as a result of the Payment.
At Publisher’s request, the Author shall provide such documents and information as Publisher may reasonably require for the Publisher to comply with reporting requirements of various governmental taxing entities regarding the Payment.
3b. Authors Copies: For the rights granted above, in addition to fees paid (if applicable), the Author will receive one (1) copy of the Anthology, which will be mailed within thirty (30) days of publication of the Anthology. Author also may purchase additional copies at a reduced rate of 25% off the cover price, plus shipping and handling.
Author’s Warranties, Representations and Indemnities:
4. The Author represents and warrants that he/she is the sole author of the Work, that the Work is original, and that no one has reserved the rights granted in this agreement. The Author also represents, to the best of his/her knowledge, that the Work contains no matter unlawful in its content, nor does it violate the rights of any third party; that the rights granted in this contract are free and clear; and that the Author has full power to grant such rights to the Publisher.
The Author further warrants that any and all works submitted under this contract are not in the public domain and are not and have never been published in paper or any other format with any publishing company that may still own proprietary right to the Work.
The Author agrees to hold Publisher harmless and indemnify it from all damages, costs, and expenses directly resulting from a finally sustained judgment relating to any legal actions incurred by the Author arising from a breach of the above warranties.
5. In the case of a First World Anthology Rights assignment, the Author agrees not to publish or permit others to publish this Work in any form prior to its publication and appearance in the above named Anthology and for the twelve (12) months after the appearance of the Anthology.
After twelve (12) months the Author may publish or permit others to publish this Work as long as it states, “Originally published in [Name of Anthology] By Grivante Press”.
If the Work is selected for a “best of the year” anthology, the Publisher agrees to waive this clause, provided the Author gives the Publisher thirty (30) days written notice of the selection by such an anthology and that the story is reprinted with the language, “Originally published in [Name of Anthology] By Grivante Press”.
Changes in Text or Title:
6. The Publisher will make no major alterations to the Work’s text or title without the Author’s written approval. The Publisher reserves the right to make minor copy-editing changes.
Authors Credits/Promotional Materials/Images
7. The Author will be credited on the table of contents and at the beginning of the story as: [Author Name] (author’s by-line)
The Author grants Publisher the right to use the Author’s name, image, likeness, and biographical material for all advertising, promotion and other exploitation of the Work.
Publisher may use part or all of the story on its website or in promotional materials to promote the Anthology.
The Author may be listed on the publisher’s website with a bio, photo and links to the author’s other works, social media and website. The Author is responsible for providing this information to the publisher and verifying its accuracy.
7b. Promotional Images: Publisher may have artwork commissioned based on the author’s Work to represent the Work in the publication as well as for promotional purposes. The rights to these images, their use, sale and disposition will remain with the publisher.
8. This agreement shall be deemed executed under the laws of the state of Idaho, United States of America. Idaho State Law shall be the applicable law of this agreement.
Reversion of Rights
9. In the event that the above-mentioned anthology has not been published within twelve (12) months of signing of this agreement, all rights revert to the Author, and the Author has the right to sell or arrange for publication of the above-named Work in any manner.
If the Author fails to sign and return this Agreement within thirty (30) days of receipt, or if the Payment is not received in accordance with the terms above, the Publisher’s offer to purchase the work shall be considered withdrawn and all rights granted hereunder shall immediately revert to the Author.
10. If unable to physically sign, then by typing their names below, the Author and the Publisher agree to electronic signature of this Agreement, and further consent to be bound by its terms and conditions as if the Agreement had been manually signed. The Author further warrants that no certification authority or other third party verification is necessary to validate their electronic signature.
The undersigned agree to the terms specified above.